Everyone remembers Crysis and Warhead, the graphics which redefined modern game graphics, the nanosuit the aliens , the story and the best gameplay the Gaming industry had seen in a really long time. With all this said, Crysis 2 had to live up to its standards.
Webster’s Dictionary defines a ‘game engine’ as ‘the word you’ve entered isn’t in the dictionary,’ but if it were to define it, it would probably explain that a game engine is used as the overall architecture to develop and run a game
.There are many game engines that are designed to work on video game consoles and desktop operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. The core functionality typically provided by a game engine includes a rendering engine (“Renderer”) for 2D or 3D graphics, a Physics Engine, Sound, Scripting, Animation, Artificial Intelligence, Networking, Streaming, Memory Management, Threading, Localization Support, and a Scene Graph.
Well thats a lot of tech talk. I will just explain the main parts in short simple words.
- Renderer – The stuff that converts the codes, textures, lighting, objects into the stuffs you see on the monitor while playing the game.
- Physics – The stuff that computes how fast a box should fall, how the water should interact, how gravity and other physical stuffs work in a game.
- Artificial Intelligence -The stuff that tells your enemy in the game to dodge your bullet and hide to take cover.
- Threading – Multiple processes and computations that take place simultaneously in the game.
- The rest even i am not sure what they are since i learl only the above 4 stuffs. (The good stuff)
Anyways, back to the topic.The list of Top 5 game engines, is in no particular order. Each engine is good in its own way.So its like comparing 1 minute with 1 elephant.Each Game-Engine has its own advantages and Disadvantages.I am not into a lot of details of how each engine works as i only learn the Unreal Engine so i cannot give the exact details of each. So here is an overview of the Top 5 Game Engines of this generation.